Wednesday, May 7, 2008

05.07.2008 -- Feeling Dumb as Motivation



I got a call last night from Wendy, who calls people to conduct the annual election survey for the Annenberg Foundation.

It was a long call, and if I didn't have Tivo, I might have been frustrated. That is a little depressing to admit, but there it is. Besides being a little inconvenient, the survey was humbling and a little disturbing. There were so many questions posed to me that I had a really hard time answering that I decided last night to do something about it.

At one point in the survey, I was asked to assign specific proposals to candidates. I felt clueless; since I haven't had to vote lately, I've tuned it all out. Anyway, I asked Wendy if she would tell me the answer after I told her what I thought. She said she really didn't know or have that information. What?! Maybe it was true.

Now hear this:

You are reading my official declaration to learn more about candidates, process, policies and issues so I can be an informed voter.

I'm going to be keeping track on factcheck.org. If I find any other sites that I think are worth my time, maybe I'll stick those up here, too.

If you took the time to read this, maybe you'll want to take the time to ask me what I think about politics, etc., too. I have been avoiding political discussions all my life. I guess I found it boring and thought/think that most of the information coming through the media has so much spin on it as to make it almost worthless. But that's really just an excuse. I'm determined not to avoid politics any more. I think being an informed voter, at the very least, is important.