Friday, July 9, 2021

07.09.2021 -- Olivia, Opera and Wrinkles



Because of Olivia, I was exploring opera online with our little one recently (Remember how she dreams of being an opera singer?) We went down the rabbit hole watching these amazing singers. Like Maria Callas...




When people ask "What kind of music do you like?" I used to say "Most things--just not death metal and opera." But watching these artists perform on video has changed that for me. It actually shifted that night laying in bed with Lena. It really makes me sad that I never got to see my cousin perform. She studied opera in college. 

We went way past her bedtime watching opera. When we came across a video of a young soprano (Katherine Jenkins) performing with an older mezzo-soprano (Cheryl Baker) singing the very famous Flower Duet



Beautiful!

I sensed it was a good time to talk to Lena about age. Sometimes kids can be a little reluctant to interact with someone who is older who looks different than the younger people they're usually around.


Me: This singer is a little older. She looks a little different, right? Sometimes when people get older, they get some wrinkles. Sometimes they have lots of wrinkles! I think lots of the best people have lots of wrinkles, don't you?

Lena: Looking up at me, adoringly as she strokes my face. Yes, Mom, they do.

Me: (Wow. She means me.)