Monday, May 4, 2009

05.04.2009 -- Gabe and Lucy Update

Hold me (I want to bite you)!


Gabe is sitting reliably now. And biting. He's still happy as ever, as long as he's being held. Which is more than usual at the moment. He must be hurting from teething or growing. Did I mention he likes to bite? It's pretty bad. When I hold him, he's almost always biting me or wanting to eat. And when I say biting, I mean, get a hunk of mom's hand between gums and teeth and clamp down! He likes the feel of tendons moving in his mouth, I guess. Needless to say, I am searching for a hand/tendon/arm/bone replacement. So far, a hard silicone hot pad holds the most promise. Teethers just aren't too popular with the boy. As for crawling, he's got it, but only 10% of the time. Mostly he just gets on hands and knees and thrusts himself forward. He can control this, though.

Lucy is VERY dramatic. And sweet. And very dramatic. She's slowly working "other" into her vocabulary to replace "wuduh." She loves riding her "two-wheeler," dancing in "'nastics" outfits, playing with friends, telling dramatic stories, and taking care of Gabe. When she's tired, it's as if her ears really don't connect with her brain. She is impossible to reason with. (Although I've found some repeated success with the following technique: if I know we'll be leaving people that Lucy loves, I identify a portable item that Lucy likes a lot. It has to be in-hand. Even if it's a minute away, if she can't see it, it may as well not exist. For example, last night at the hospital visiting babies, we had leftover carrot cake with frosting. When it was time to go, I called Lucy's attention to the cake and told her that if she would like to take the cake with us, she would need to "behave nicely." If she threw a fit, I said, then we'd have to leave the cake at the hospital. Good as gold. This does not work without said desirable object. Without bait, Lucy LOSES it most of the time. This leaves me with a small dilemma. Do I take something to bait Lucy with everywhere I go? Actually, I think that I'm slowly coming to terms with the possibility that I may need to monitor her level of fatigue and plan activities accordingly.