Sunday, February 2, 2014

02.02.2014 -- Day in the Life

Lucy has curlers in her hair this morning.

For a while there, she wanted nothing to do with me as her personal hair stylist.  However, she has since come to the conclusion that maybe I actually can do her hair in a flattering way.  Of course, she hasn't said as much, but she has started asking me to do it for her again.  That's good for me.  I like doing Lucy's hair a lot.  It's one of those things in my day where I get to be creative.  I heart being creative.

Yesterday being Saturday, Brian and I decided we would try to get out skiing.  He went early to do some "big boy" skiing with the expectation that I would bring up the kids later.  Lucy didn't want to go.  She found even the idea of having to wait for Gabe tiring, I think.   She has turned into a really good skier.  Gabe is good, too, and can actually keep up pretty well with Lucy, but doing straight shots (no turns) doesn't build good habits, so Brian and I "make" him turn, turn, and turn.  This takes a lot longer.  He gets tired faster than Lucy does, too.

I ended up dropping Lucy off to play with cousins for the afternoon and took the boys up to Snowbasin.  Brian's phone had died from the cold, so it wasn't as straightforward a connection as we had hoped, but it turned out great.  I skied behind Gabe, and Brian skied down backwards with Charlie straddling one of his skis.  I don't know if there are times I feel more love toward Brian than when he does stuff like that.  He is incredibly patient and good.

After a few runs, Charlie was knackered,  so I left Gabe to ski with Brian and took Charlie down the mountain with me so we could get Lucy to her Suzuki Graduation.  It's a sweet thing to see dozens of kids performing together, knowing how much time has gone into building the skills they're displaying. And they're young enough that they haven't taken control of their faces yet, some of them.  Their frustration, concentration and excitement comes across loud and clear in their expressions.

Pretty cute!