Thursday, July 10, 2008

07.10.08 -- The Last July 10th of my 32nd Year


With my dad's help the past few days, the yard has been weeded. Sure, you could find a stray survivor out there without looking too hard, but it really is weeded! I lingered in bed this morning because I felt like I deserved a little respite, but it wasn't for long! The concrete guys actually showed up this morning!

The above picture was taken so I can remember how happy I was watching the gathering of MEN discuss the details of our patio extension and stairs--all to be poured tomorrow. Check out the tall drink of water holding the plans...




Aunt Monica surprised us today with an early visit. This picture was taken in the LoveSac. Lucy was in heaven.

Today marks the halfway point in my 40 weeks. Hooray! To say that I am excited to meet the little guy (that's right) is SO lacking in descriptive value.

Monica showed me how her pants were falling down (she's shrinking), and I suggested we trade. (I'm not shrinking.)

One fashion show later, and I was able to send her home with a bag full of pants (etc.) to wear for the next while. It was an incredibly fun and surprisingly fulfilling way to spend the morning--tossing pants to her, telling her to try everything on and check her fine self out in the mirror.

She left her big pants here with me. Bonus! They're super cute and fit great.




This year, Santa brought Lucy a kitchen, which she loves. Mysteriously, her cousin Megan's kitchen disappeared right before Christmas. We found a perfect spot for the play kitchen in a little nook downstairs.

A few weeks ago, one of my sis-in-laws invited me to a Sentsy party where I bought a candle warmer and a deliciously scented brick of wax (cucumber limmmmmnnnnnumn) which I recently put to work making our basement smelly (in a good way). I wanted Monica to smell it, so I enticed her down the stairs with my pathetic enthusiasm for my scented basement.

But seriously? I love the result. Scentsy gets my vote.





Lucy took advantage of our trip to the basement to cuddle with Monica in the LoveSac and eventually lured her into the kitchen with the promise of preparing potato salad. If you look carefully at this picture, you'll see that she entrusted Monica with her beloved white puppy and one of her many babies.

Zoe loves the kitchen (and Monica), too. Every person who enters Lucy's kitchen gets down on Zoe's level, and she takes advantage of it.

One thing you can't tell from that picture is that Zoe is particularly stinky today. See what a sweet sister I have? She doesn't even care if the dog stinks, she'll love her up anyway.

Monica is just sweet. She also said some sweet things today. She told me that I (ahem) looked like a painting, that it made her want to take a picture of me.

I guess that comment found it's way into my little brain and partnered up with my friend Crystal's example of self-photography. I decided to set up my black sheet (thanks, Crystal), my tripod, and take a picture of myself (without changing a thing--well, I did put in earrings). I didn't set it up right, so I had to hunch over to put myself in the right spot... impatient, but here it is:


I yam what I yam.





My parents stayed with us for a few nights this week (left yesterday for Monica and Eric's place). We had lots of fun with them. Here are a couple of pictures from Tuesday and Wednesday:



My mom sorting coins with Lucy. We all have guilty pleasures. Mine and Lucy's include letting her stay in her PJs past 8 am. (See photo.) My mom's includes the simple act of sorting change to put into rolls. (I save it for her.)

We have a guest room downstairs, which Lucy simply calls "Grandma and Grandpa's Room." She loves it when they come to visit. The room is not reserved exclusively for them, though--if anyone else wants to visit (hint, hint).





Here's my dad working in the yard. I am always amazed at how much progress is made when he visits us (between sidewalk painting and puzzle sessions with Lucy). Yes, he inspires me to work alongside him, but he truly has a gift for work (if I do say so myself). Thanks, Dad.

I love my parents.