Wednesday, July 23, 2008

07.23.2008 -- Huzzah!!



Few people out there may truly understand the title of this post... For the rest of you, I'm just going to encourage you to make a little room in your own vocabulary for this underused exclamation.

Among my other new e-mails this morning was a message from "Bountiful Recycles." The subject of this particular e-mail was, "We made it!!"

My response? Huzzah!!!

Seriously, though. This will make a BIG difference to this household. Apparently, a resolution was (finally) passed last night at a city council meeting to start a citywide recycling program at a cost of less than $3 a month to respective Bountiful residents. The first pick-up is slated for January.

Broad-minded as I try to be, I have a lot of difficulty, a LOT of difficulty, understanding the point of view of the 2 city council members who voted against this resolution. Thank heaven for the other 3.

In a previous post, I was demonstrably not a fan of our mayor--due to comments he made during a city council meeting. Well, he has changed his tune, I guess. According to the e-mail from Bountiful's most dedicated recycler, "The mayor opened the discussion by giving a great speech in favor of recycling, and the importance of prolonging the life of the landfill. He reviewed over all the recent work they had done on the issue and the problems with the current drop off bins, and then opened the floor for discussion."

Huzzah, Mayor Joe!

I sent all of the pro-recycler city council members (and the mayor) thank you e-mails this morning. That's the least I could do, I figure--as I took the time to send them e-mails letting them know that I thought they were falling short without a citywide program.

Another reason for a "Huzzah" this morning... (Go ahead, say it out loud with some feeling--you may like it!) A truck and pup is in front of our house as I type leaving us two piles of topsoil. We have sod scheduled to arrive Friday!

...And all of this before 9 a.m.

Added later: Lucy and I went to the ABC park today. To my surprise, all road construction was finally completed, leaving Bountiful's very first and only roundabout!!! There you have it. Today was truly a banner day. You can glimpse the roundabout behind Lucy in the picture at the top of this entry.

I love roundabouts.