Thursday, February 17, 2011

02.17.2011 -- Big Sigh

About a year and a half ago (wow, time goes fast), I spent a few weeks in the east and got to spend some time with one of grand mothers. My grandmothers are phenomenal, AND grand. This wasn't the last time I got to spend time with my Granny. (Granny for her, is an especially ironic name, considering how perpetually youthful and modern she is in my eyes.) It wasn't the last time by far, but it was a really special time, and I will always think of it as my last "time" with her.

She died this week.

Sadness.

It didn't take me long to realize that my sadness was 100% selfish, though. If I could choose a way to die, I would happily sign up for a double helping of how she went: having lived a long, full life, surrounded by loved ones and with time to say goodbye.

She is definitely one of my heroes. Always. I've always loved her name, mostly because of who she was. I would have named Lucy after her, but the name wasn't on my and Brian's list of common loves.To me, the name Rosamond will always belong to a beautiful heroine, well-read and well-traveled, but even better loved. A woman with an eye and a heart for beauty in things and in people.

Love you, Gran.