Friday, April 8, 2011

04.08.2011 -- Baby Wearing

The downside to baby wearing is this: Although it is convenient to have a baby strapped to your chest, and facilitates housekeeping and caretaking of older children, every once in a while, you may find yourself looking down at the baby and making eye-contact. At this point, said baby may decide to smile at you and goo adorably. Most babies at this point in their development will not be very articulate. If one were to translate the look and expression from the worn baby, it may be something like this: "Hi there! I like to be with you! I am very cozy and enjoy what we're doing here. Want to smile at each other for a while?"

"My goodness!" you will say to yourself, "Here I am going about my business, having forgotten what a charming person is attached to my chest!" You then will certainly doubt, at least momentarily, that the housekeeping and sandwich making and laundry folding you have done were more important or better than having a staring/smiling contest with the small charming person you haven't thought of in an hour.

Thought you all ought to know.