Monday, August 4, 2008

08.04.2008 -- Fun With Daddy, M.B.P.










Three photos: this was all I was going to post. However, due to difficulty downloading pictures to Blogger, I started typing up an explanation. One thing led to another and I figured as long as I was typing, I would mention that besides cleaning house and being Mom to Lucy, I got to scratch a creative itch today.

M.B.P. Magnet Board Project.

Why spend time chronicling my M.B.P.?
Why not?

After all, I write this blog mostly to record the story of our family for our family. Count this toward character development: One thing that will probably always be true about me is that making things invariably leaves me happy and satisfied.

Here's what I did: Last week, I searched and rescued a gigantic picture (48x 32.5 inches) from our garage which hadn't been hung in at least 5 years. I removed the art and glass. The frame: loaded into the back of our station wagon for a sizing trip to the sheet metal shop, where I purchased a $15 custom-cut sheet of metal.

Today, I reassembled the frame with the metal, then put together some magnets.

I had a bowlful of shells and stones from Costa Rica, gathered on the beach, plus a stash of rocks that caught Lucy's eye during walks we've taken together. Conveniently, I also had on hand about 50 itty-bitty-but-powerful magnets (otherwise known as neodymium magnets) which I had left over from teaching an object lesson in church.

Shells and rocks stick to neodymium magnets with hot glue.

Now I have a gigantic magnetic board hanging in my laundry room, complete with lots of beautiful, unique magnets--all for $15! It's a perfect place to put all of the little paper items that I've stacked and unstacked on our kitchen counters for years. These are the odds and ends that get stuck on people's refrigerators, but ours is unfriendly to magnets, or maybe magnets just aren't attracted to our fridge. (Ha.)