Friday, August 22, 2008

08.22.08 -- The Day After

Lucy's birthday was yesterday. Thanks to a lot of help, both her friend party and the family party went really well. Today, I am pretty much wiped out. Not so for Lucy. Here's Lucy this morning: the very picture of enthusiasm. (I asked her to demonstrate her new chair and table for me.)





Thanks to my wonderful niece, Eliza, for her invaluable help wrangling toddlers...And a huge quadruple thank you to Crystal, who not only brought her son, Lucy's best boy friend, Ben--but helped with crowd control AND brought her camera (more importantly, her skillz). I didn't ask her to, but she took all of these great pictures and made the best CD for us. Honestly, I would've paid her to do this. I treasure these!!!

After watching the slideshow, I'm a little disappointed--you definitely get the idea, but you miss the clarity of the of Crystal's photographs. As for the music, I just pulled something happy-sounding from our iTunes collection. There's no correlation to the party.




See what I mean? Thanks, Crystal!



Cream cheese lemon cake...


I made-up a new cake and a new chicken marinade for the family party, and was happy with both. The cake was inspired by the frosting (recipe from AllRecipes.com). How was it? De-lush-us (if you're into a moist, slightly dense cake with a fresh lemon zing to it). Lemme know if you want more info.

The marinade, I made up after consulting some recipes (on AllRecipes.com), deciding to use what I had instead of making another trip to the store. A lot of people asked how I did the chicken so here it is:

for 6 cups of marinade (yes, a ton):

3 cups of lemon juice, worcestershire sauce and white wine vinegar
3 cups of olive oil and canola oil
3 normal sized packets Good Seasons Italian dressing mix (dry)

After using up all the lemon juice (from concentrate) that I had -- about 1/3 cup, I emptied my bottle of W. sauce (about 1 1/2 cups), then topped it off with the white wine vinegar. Then I added all of my olive oil, there was about a cup left; the other 2 cups were canola oil. I mixed all this with the 3 packets of italian dressing mix (you guessed it), all I had, marinated overnight and it was really, really good grilled.