Sunday, February 15, 2009

02.15.2009 -- Very Random List About Me


From Facebook, with a few changes.

1- I used to wear a t-shirt that said “Mean People Suck,” then got rid of it when I realized it was kind of mean. There may not be anything that makes me more angry than meanness. Ask me about the time I bent two axles on my Subaru by sliding into a curb! Meanness. Road rage.

2- The Meyers Briggs Type Indicator is something that I’ve found really useful ever since my cousin, Justine, introduced us years ago. The MBTI never gets old for me. (ENFP)

3- As far as I’m concerned, I learned 2 useful things in my Communications 101 class in college: about the Johari window, and that you shouldn’t bring up a problem without presenting a solution of your own.

4- I love exercises like this because of their effect on the Johari window. Okay, maybe it's not that useful--but I really like it anyway.

5- I think Macroeconomics is way more of a pseudoscience than Psychology.

6- I bought a set of Tony Robbins CDs from TV once—I listened to all of them and liked them.

7- TV scares me, but I still watch it some. Sometimes, I read TV on the internet (recaps), or listen to it on the radio.

8- I am a word nerd.

9- I can touch my tongue to my nose.

10-My favorite type of humor is where I trick people into thinking that I think I'm better than I'm pretending to be. I used to do this thing where, with a very earnest face, I danced horrifically. Now, I think that maybe I have a fear of people perceiving me as less competent than I think I am, and that I've used this humor to take control.

11- I like to try to analyze myself. (See #10 for an example.) However, although I may have tried to analyze YOU, I have more than likely concluded that I can never be certain that I'm right (about you), so I'd better not try too hard (because that would be unfair to you).

12- I used to dig Nine Inch Nails. Now I think Trent Resnor is sad and a little ridiculous. Other than that, my taste in music has stayed pretty much the same for as long as I can remember: I like pretty much everything except speed metal and I have a hard time with opera. I manage to stay sort of current on music through my husband, friends, and iTunes.

13- I remember crying only one time before I turned 22 years old. It was about our cat, Pierre. Now I cry all the time and consider it a valuable mental health tool.

14- I took karate for a few years and used to teach kids. I decided to stop because I was becoming too violent. Ka-pow! This is a video of the instructor of my instructor. I went to some clinics with him (Paul Mills). By the way--the reactions of these people being hit are 100% real. I have seen the bruises from Paul Mills' hits: they go all the way through and are very colorful. (I haven't looked at this stuff for a long time.)



Man, watching this makes me want to do it again. (Seriously. It's addictive.)

15- I remember vivid details of my dreams all the time.

16- I like to think that I’m a pretty sensitive person, but I’m always realizing how insensitive I’ve been in retrospect.

17- I have been “tan” about 5 times in my entire lifetime.

18- I have observed Ramadan. In college. In Senegal. For solidarity.

19- I am a practicing member of the LDS church and I think Mitt Romney would have made a great president.

20- I read an article about (President) Barack Obama's bid for the senate way back when and said to myself, “this guy’s going to be president someday.”
Really. I did. (And I've never thought that about anyone else.)

21- Before we got a dog, I didn’t want the dog on any of our furniture. Now, our dog sleeps in our bed with us—I loooooove it. She’s so cozy.

22- When you say something nice to me, I secretly think you’re just being nice, but I believe in giving only sincere compliments.

23- I’m embarrassingly good at remembering names and faces. This means that once I know it, you may have forgotten who I am, but I haven’t forgotten who you are: yes, I saw you in the grocery store, but you looked busy and I hadn’t taken a shower that day.

24- I love to dance, especially with a partner, but it’s a lot harder for me to dance now that I’m married to a man who thinks people look silly when they dance.

25- I’m a published (not paid) poet. That was in college. I’ve tried poetry recently. It wasn’t pretty.

26- Art makes me swoon. Museums move me, but it doesn't have to be in a museum to be art. I am a closet artist. The last time I painted, a little girl visiting us smudged the oil. I decided that being a painter and being a mom of small children isn’t a great fit, but I have a small stockpile of canvases and paint.

27- I went to my first yoga class in Senegal in 1996 and have been doing it on and off ever since.