Saturday, August 15, 2009

08.15.2008 -- A Couple of Things

First Section

A few days ago, some really wonderful and beautiful people confided in me that they have read my blog. I had mixed feelings. I really don't mind when people read my blog. Frankly, I'm flattered that anyone would spend their time here. What I don't like is the sort of performance anxiety that sometimes besets me when I realize that people are reading my blog.

That's the major reason why this blog doesn't have the option of leaving comments. (If I don't have a place for people to leave comments, then I don't have to deal with disappointment from people not leaving comments, and I won't write things in order to get comments. See how that works?)

With that explanation, maybe you'll understand when I make this request: If you read this blog and I don't know it--don't tell me. Please.


***

Second Section

Ah, the weather. It's yummy.
It makes me want to spend more time outside, but actually accomplishing things outside is a little difficult with Gabe. He, normal kid that he is, wants to eat everything (except baby food): Grass, bricks, bark, dirt/mud, hair, wood, rocks, buttons.

Now, for fun--and because I'm all about giving back, here's a little learning opportunity for us: A chance to assess yourself and, at the same time, to learn about me. Let's say we line ourselves up in one happy line of people who do or do not allow or feel comfortable letting babies put things in their mouths. I would be left of center. (Left being more permissive.) I think that it's sort of how being a baby goes. I cringe when I think of babies putting things like dirt in their mouths, but mostly because I think it's got to taste awful--not because I think it will really harm them.

There are a few modifiers to this that I should probably put out there in order to really make myself understood. I am aware of pollutants that could make normally innocuous things pretty harmful to babies. Weedkillers, dog poo, industrial or nuclear waste: These are only some of the things that I don't want in babies' mouths.

And where are you in our line-up? (Rhetorical question--please refer to the first section of this post.)