Tuesday, August 18, 2009

08.18.2009 -- Taller

Anyone ever read that story, Thinner, by Stephen King? Millions of us wish we were thinner every day, don't you think? Maybe a lot of people wish they were taller, too.

These thoughts came to me tonight as I watched my wonderful husband on the trampoline with Lucy. Lucy barely makes the surface of the trampoline dip down. Brian could easily send it to the ground just by jumping normally. So, of course, he doesn't jump normally.

The weight limit for that tramp is 200 lb. Brian is over 200 lbs., but isn't overweight. He's not skin and bones--but he doesn't have a lot of extra on him. I watched them and realized that he probably felt uncomfortable jumping on the tramp--that "jumping" on that tramp is a totally different experience for him than it is for me. For him, the tramp is almost rickety and unsafe. For me, it's just fun.

Watching him "jumping" with his three-year-old daughter made me wonder how it would be to be too big for most things. (And not for the first time.)

Can you imagine ducking your head to go through most doorways? Sitting in chairs that are too small? Stretching out in bed only to have your feet stick out the bottom?

Of course, being tall has it's benefits. One good thing about being taller is that a longer body makes it easier to children to nap comfortably while being held.



I love my tall man.