Monday, August 17, 2009

09.16.2009 -- Successful Parenting?

Lucy had her first visit to the dentist this morning.

During the visit, Lucy:

*Asked me why there weren't very many toys in the waiting room.
*As I filled out first-time-patient forms, asked me to read "Jonah and the Whale" from the stack of kids books.
*Listened to me read the book and asked two questions while I read: "Is that Jonah?" And, "Where is God?"
*Followed the assistant who called her name and climbed up in the dental chair with no fuss.
*Beamed when she got to choose a Disney Princess toothbrush from the toothbrush basket (she's never had a princess toothbrush).
*Was quiet, but mostly responded when people spoke to her. (When two new kids were loaded into the chairs beside her, she watched them intently (stared) and was so focused on them that she didn't answer the technician's attempts to engage her.)
*Happily wore the sunglasses provided while she lay prostrate in the dental chair under the light.
*Told the dentist (whom I would recommend to anyone) "Thank you, Dr. Nelson!" loudly and clearly when she was done.
*Chose a small plastic "Fairy Wand" out of the prize basket.
*Unwrapped the wand right away and left the building saying "bobbity boo," while waving the wand.

Lucy has a slight underbite, minimal damage from grinding on her molars, a chipped front tooth and.........

No cavities!
The dentist told me that her teeth look really great.

Successful Parenting! (I will take partial credit for no cavities. For everything else, I give credit to Lucy.)