Tuesday, June 3, 2008

06.03.2008 -- Sprinkler Time, Play Time

Sprinkler Time

There are millions and millions of people in the world who are missing out. I bet that worldwide, a small percentage of us get really familiar with home sprinkling systems. We are some of the lucky ones.

Yes, we've started installing our sprinklers. (By we, I mean that Brian has started installing our sprinklers. I have done next to nothing to help.)

Progress in the yard? We've got lots of trees in and trenching is 80% done for sprinklers. Brian is probably 10% done with the sprinkling system. I'm proud of him. There are so many things that are so much more fun that he would probably rather be doing, but he's been very focussed.

This putting-in-of-the-yard has been incredibly absorbing. I have tried to figure out why I haven't blogged for such a long time and I can't really come up with anything besides the fact that I'm expecting and we've been putting lots of energy (mental and physical) into the yard. Of course, that's not all I've been doing...but I am out there weeding 6 days a week at least once a
day... And the mental energy? Let's just say that trying to get our yard in has been a huge learning experience in a lot of areas--especially in neighbor relations.

Now that I think of it, there are a few other things that have sucked me out of blogging recently. I got a new calling in church: Relief Society teacher. That has actually required a lot of mental energy for me. There are other odds and ends, small obligations and projects that fill up the days. I guess I'll just have to put more effort into rebuilding my habit.


Play Time

Last weekend, we had another first at our house. Two cute neighbor girls knocked on our door to ask if Lucy could play.


Lucy eating applesauce this morning on my lap.


The day before, Lucy was playing outside while Brian and I were working in the yard and saw some of the neighborhood girls across the street. She asked if she could cross the street to see them and Brian took her over with her Winnie the Pooh 'bike.' I think she spent 3 - 4 hours with the girls that night. She literally cried, scratched me and hit me when I came to take her home. She was tired. She can't quite figure out how to verbalize that kind of disappointment yet.


Who me?


The next day, the youngest two of these sweet girls (8 years old) show up, asking to play with Lucy. She was thrilled, and so was I. She spent hours with them for three days straight. She hasn't forgotten how much she loves playing with them and many tears have been shed because her mean old mom won't let her go play with them. If I could know with no doubts whatsoever that these girls wanted Lucy with them as much as she wants to be with them, I would let her go play more. But I don't.

I'm getting foreshadowings of what it may be like when Lucy is older and enters the constant drama of little girl social life. You know what I mean--she likes me, she doesn't like me...She and she said this about you, she and I feel this way about her. You and I and she are best friends until we aren't. Can't wait.

Is this video clip below sort of random? Sort of. I included it because it reminded me how grown up even very little girls think they are sometimes. This little girl has emoting skillz!