Saturday, May 31, 2008

05.31.2008 -- Asphalt and Wildlife/Venison

We have been planting trees and as we plant, we find more asphalt. Apparently, where our house now stands, there was once a pad of asphalt. A parking lot. I guess it beats a burial ground or something like that.


See how big this piece is? We're lucky that Brian has access to these machines--otherwise we'd probably still be trying to get this particular slab out.


Lucy


Deer are a major issue in our neighborhood. People love them and hate them, but most people wish they wouldn't eat stuff that they plant. This is one of about 12 deer that were in the back one morning. I got out my camera just because I could and started taking pictures from our bedroom window. I had a short window to take pictures because pretty soon, I got this one (which I had to take because I am such a faithful amateur photojournalist):


We were talking with a friend who has a chronic deer problem. Come to think of it, almost everyone here seems to have a chronic deer problem. Well this guy, he plans to get a pellet gun. He said that he has seen deer not only stand up to people, but he's seen a deer charge a guy.


Antlers, anyone?

Isn't that a beautiful photograph? I found it on the web @
The Master Guide for Wildlife Photographers: Wildlife Compositions by © Bill Silliker


People put a lot of energy and money into keeping deer off and out of their growing things. Deer repellent, deer fences... I wonder if they ever think about it this way: Yes, the deer are a pain. Yes, we have built entire communities far into their natural territory. Hey--if the sky ever falls, we'll have access to a lot of venison! Ha.

Maybe I should make my neighbor watch this video before he chases any more deer off his property.