Monday, September 23, 2013

09.22.2013 -- Crash






Our kids love to ride bikes.  Seeing them zooming around happily makes me smile.  There are a few ingredients, when added to a childhood that dramatically increase success and good times.


  • Homemade baked goods.  Not all the time, but sometimes.
  • Kites.
  • Water and mud.
  • Tree climbing.
  • Roadside lemonade stands.
  • Fingerpainting.
  • Mud pies.
  • Matchbox car races.
  • Legos.
  • Sleeping under the stars.
  • Bikes.

This list is not exhaustive, but it's a start.  (In order for me to function these days, I embrace starts and imperfect efforts--otherwise I wouldn't accomplish much.)

So, Bikes!  Kids on bikes make me smile.  If you look carefully at this picture of Gabe, you should be able to see a scrape that takes up roughly 1/8 of his face.  He and Lucy were riding bikes and he crashed.   He was wearing a helmet, thank heavens.  It took a good half of an hour for him to stop screaming.  I probably would've screamed too, poor kid.  This happened a few days ago, and the picture isn't from today either, but the only real difference now is that there is some green around his eye now. 

He's a chip off the old block.  Both his dad and I have had some pretty good bike crashes, too.