Thursday, April 10, 2008

04.10.2008 -- Bad Invalid

I give up. I am a really bad invalid. I resent not being able to walk normally and I hate not being able to exercise whenever I want. I guess it's time to grow up, suck it up, and move on until my foot does. Brian thinks it's planar fascitis. I'm 90% that I spelled that wrong, but I don't care right now.

This foot thing has come and gone--usually pretty quickly. Most recently, though--it's lingering, and it's making me ANGRY! Ha ha. So...Rachel went out of town last week and I was on my own for exercise. Lucy has really been digging the gym lately and conveniently wants to go a lot. I took advantage of this Friday last and went to the gym with the intention of running a little on the treadmill. I really took it easy. Started out walking--took my time.... I was feeling great, so I threw in some sprints and ended up going about five miles. My feet didn't hurt. I stopped because I was trying to be conservative and I tend to feel guilty leaving Lucy in the gym "playroom" longer than needed.

So I picked Lucy up from the gym with her new princess coloring project and headed to the park. I have made this deal with Lucy--I just haven't informed her of it yet. The deal is that when we go to the gym, we spend as much or more time at the park afterwards. We spent a while at the park and had a lot of fun. By the time I got home, my left foot was killing me.

Bah. So that's the beginning. I hope to be able to give details about the end very soon. It's gotten better. I haven't had to crawl up the stairs today (and Lucy and I spend a couple of hours at the park)!

I am really, really, really (really) missing my morning workouts.

I guess I should try to remember how lucky I am to so rarely have an injury.


***



Some loved ones who are far away sometimes ask how the house is coming. The most recent progress has been made in the study. When we moved in, all of our random boxes found a home here. Brian found shelves and a desk that he liked (got me lots of shelves--lots more than he would have gotten on his own, which is how we compromised) and got them all moved in and set up. Before we left for Costa Rica, I put most of my energy into organizing this room (those boxes were driving me NUTS). It paid off. I got it done. It's not perfect by any means, but there is not a box in sight (and the closet is tidy, too)!


***

If anyone actually reads this blog, anyone may have noticed that I have done some kind of odd posts lately. In my defense, I am growing a human right now. Maybe that can explain the dog puke writing and the po-em. We, by the way, are ecstatic.