Sunday, April 27, 2008

04.27.2008 -- Big Adventure

This weekend, two of our best friends, Sarah and Rob, started their Big Adventure. They got married. Festivities started Thursday night with Bachelor/Bachelorette parties, and ended last night with a lovely ceremony and reception. They did a great job planning their wedding. It was a beautiful event, and a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I missed most of the ceremony. Lucy had to "powder her nose," which meant a short hike from the Red Butte Fragrance Garden to the Orangerie. By the time we got back, it was over. Oh well.

Last week was packed with things that had to be done right and could not be forgotten: kid wrangling, tree planting, and wedding stuff. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go without having Lucy's buddies, Shawn and Nicole, over Wednesday and Thursday, I wouldn't give back the trees, and I wouldn't have missed the wedding festivities. Taken all together though, with the hormones and weird come-and-go tiredness that my "delicate state" predisposes me to, it had added up to a lot of "good stress" and less sleep than is probably ideal for me these days.

I knew I had to do something about it, so I did get in some yoga Saturday--at home this time. (Didn't quite make Corena's class, so I just did it by myself and it went fine.) Brian took Lucy with him to scout out some "local" kayaking runs, so I was able to run errands a little more quickly than normally. That was nice. Lucy loved it. She is the definition of a daddy's girl. In fact, we may have some Electra Complex issues cropping up. Ha ha.

Brian's mom made Lucy's dress for us. She made me promise to get a lot of pictures of Lucy all dressed up, so I obliged her (twist my arm). I also broke out my camera for a few other photo ops. I got some pictures I like, but I'm posting just five.


I plopped Lucy in front of this mirror in the Bride's dressing room and asked her to look at herself. At times, Lucy is amazingly compliant. Once the gloves were on, she couldn't stop rubbing her fingers together. Maybe I should have let her wear them more beforehand. She didn't seem to like the feel of them because the gloves didn't stay on for long, and she wasn't interested in putting them on again.


In this picture, Lucy was watching Sarah put her dress on. She had been so excited about the wedding and Sarah's dress. Here she is seeing it all come together and is a little awestruck, I think.


Lucy with Sarah and Rob. (Rob is standing behind Lucy, playing with her hair.) Friday night at the rehearsal dinner, Lucy ran to Rob with open arms, lips all puckered up for kissing. I didn't see it, but word is that she wasn't disappointed.


Another best friend, Jami Taylor, did a fantastic job providing live music for the ceremony and for some of the reception. She's amazing. Jami's husband, James, officiated. We like him just as well as we like her.


Brian and Lucy warming in the sun.