Monday, March 9, 2009

03.09.2009 -- Interview with Lucy



1. What is something I always say to you? "Barring" (made up word)

2. What makes me happy? "When we say “Queen, queen, queen!”" (Before dinner each night, Lucy asks me, "Mom, who's Daddy?" I say: "the King." Lucy asks, "Who are you?" I respond, "the Queen." She continues: "Who is Gabe?" I say, "the prince." Lucy says, "Who am I?" I say, "the princess." And finally, Lucy says, "Who is Zoe?" I say, "the royal dog."

This is a routine that Lucy made up and, if deviated from, she will correct with ardor. If anyone refers to our home or house either directly or indirectly, she corrects whoever was speaking, "No, the CASTLE!!!" For example, if I were to say, "Do you want Zoe to come in?" Lucy would say, "No, you have to say CASTLE!!!" We're going with it.

3. What makes me sad? "When I say bad stuff, like, like when I cry, and when I say, “Mom, mom, mom!!”

4. How do I make you laugh? "You do this: explosive sound with lips."

5. What was I like as a child? "Um, just ...." (She looks at me with a big grin and cute squeaky sound.)

6. How old am I? "Could you tell me? I can’t know that."

7. How tall am I? "I don’t know that. I don’t know how tall are you."

8. What is my favorite thing to do? "PLAY."

9. What do I do when you're not around? "You just hang out with Gabe...right?"

10. If I became famous, what will it be for? “For when I fell on you for a couple of days.”

11. What am I really good at? “You’re good at reading books to me.”

12. What am I not very good at? "Shooting."

13. What do I do for my job? “Work on your ‘puter. Is that right?”

14. What is my favorite food? “Ummm…Oatmeal. Is that right?”

15. What makes you proud of me? “Um, when you help me get my clothes set up. And separate them, too. “

16. If I were a cartoon character, who would I be? “A graaaaa mommy….oh, a mean mommy.”

17. What do you and I do together? "We dance together (is that right?)"

18. How are you and I the same? “Dancing!”

19. How are you and I different? “Play.“

20. How do you know I love you? “Because you miss me.”

21. Where is my favorite place to go? “To Mo Bettah’s. Right?”




1. What is something dad always says to you? He says, “Sweetheart, I’m gonna come back if you sleep and you will watch your fishies if you want.” (As she watches her fish.)
“When I go to sleep, he says, ‘We will make some puff-up pancakes, sweetheart daughter.’”

2. What makes dad happy? “Play.”

3. What makes daddy sad? “When I say ‘Whaaa, I don’t wanna go to bed.”” (in a whiny voice.)

4. How does your dad make you laugh? “Hmm, hmm. Maybe do this (all sorts of crazy noises with her mouth.)”

5. What was your dad like as a child? “He liked to play.”

6. How old is your dad? “Could you tell me? I don’t know. 4 months old?”

7. How tall is your dad? “I don’t know….um…A lot of months tall. As tall as the fishbowl --not very tall.”

8. What is his favorite thing to do? “He loves to play with me. He plays house and I love him. … I love him, too.”

9. What does daddy do when you're not around? “I don’t know.”

10. If your dad becomes famous, what will it be for? No response

11. What is your dad really good at? “He’s good at skiing.”

12. What is your dad not very good at? “Opening bananas (As she eyes the bananas on the counter.)”

13. What does your dad do for his job? “He goes to work and works in his office – he sells money so he could dig holes.”

14. What is your dad's favorite food? “Batman cereal.”

15. What makes you proud of your dad? “When I say, Daddy, Daddy, Daddy!”

16. If your dad were a cartoon character, who would he be? “He would be Houn. He looks like a Honk. Like Aunt Becca made a honk. Like a road. A road doc.”

17. What do you and your dad do together? “We play house—the Queen and the prince and the prince..”

18. How are you and your dad the same? “We both like playing with each other, and we don’t like to fight.”

19. How are you and your dad different? “He doesn’t….. I do skateboard.”

20. How do you know your daddy loves you? “He loves me because I eat healthy food like cereal, oatmeal.”

21. Where is your dad's favorite place to go? "To um… to Mo Bettahs."

During this interview, which, incidentally, took FOREVER... Lucy pointed out that it wasn't really fair for me to get to ask all of the questions. So we took turns. She asked questions and typed the answers. Her questions would probably be a lot more interesting, but I couldn't type them as she asked, because it was her turn at the computer. Oh well.