Wednesday, March 25, 2009

03.25.2009 -- Heinz, Please

Mmmmmm.





Tonight at dinner, Lucy tried some of her meat (grilled steak, if you're interested), and spat it out. Granted, it had come from the freezer that day, but she usually has no complaints with eating the small portion that she's given. It tasted fine to me, and Brian had no complaints about his.

To facilitate, Brian asked Lucy if she would like some sauce... I suggested maybe ketchup (catsup--whatever). This idea excited her. Brian came back from the fridge and made a small pool of ketchup for her to dip in. Dip, she did. Lucy proceeded to dip all of her broccoli, all of her edamame beans and lots of her rice into the ketchup, bite by bite, while making all sorts of yum-noises to advertise just how eatable this arrangement was for her.

(After an incident involving washable markers, non-washable
markers and a new pink dress at church, Lucy
has surprised us with these new additions to her

vocabulary: kissable, hugable, eatable, etc...)
Example: "Mom, are you kissable?"

Eventually, after all of her broccoli and edamame were gone, she returned to the beef, which she dipped in ketchup, chewed, then spat out again. To her credit, she did this with about half of the meat on her plate, although she couldn't bring herself to swallow any. I guess the ketchup could only get her so far tonight.

To be clear, this is a first for the equal opportunity ketchup-dipping. We'll see if it continues. I myself can remember biting into sticks of margarine and sneaking Velveeta when I was a kid, but I don't remember having any special relationship with ketchup.

As for the continuation of my love for margarine or Velveeta... I converted to butter when I married Brian, and use butter in baking and sauteeing--almost never cold. I don't know that I've ever bought Velveeta, but once in a while, processed cheese (plastic-wrapped singles) is (was) one of my (secret) guilty pleasures.


I blurred out the bum lines. Does that make this picture okay?
It was too good to pass up.