Tuesday, January 1, 2008

1.1.2008



Merry Christma....I mean..
Happy New Year!


Brian wanted to know why the dog's stocking is the longest one. I added it to the other stockings this year. I didn't have a satisfactory answer for him. All I could say was that it fit the tree theme and the colors were right. I'll be boxing it all up tomorrow while Brian's at work so that he has a birthday free from the taint of Christmas...

Ever notice that Christmas is a complete hog when it comes to peoples' birthdays--that is, when people have birthdays that fall too close? Don't get me wrong, I really like Christmas. But she IS a diva as far as holidays go.

As usual, I have been left reeling in Christmas' wake. What can I do when my husband gives me way too much for Christmas then his birthday comes a week later? He has given me more camera than I hoped to ask for, and now it's time for his birthday (tomorrow), and I never know how to spoil him the way he does me.

It's hard to balance spoilage and being responsible.

I already know the answer, but it doesn't do me any good now. I need to plan ahead. Oh well.

For New Years, our Betters Ball went off well, if less successfully than last year. It's a tricky thing to throw a party for people who are responsible parents of young children who go to bed early. It was still lots of fun. The grand prizes this year were a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble, a SWEET pair of white Smith sunglasses, and a gift certificate for a massage. Trish Hartle left with the book card, JD Buxton with the glasses, and Rob Phillips made off with the massage. We're already thinking ahead to next year. A word on the Betters Ball, in case anyone cares: This is a poker game, but it's not a poker game. Brian and I collect gifts throughout the year and they are the prizes, but nobody pays anything. We did this because we think poker is fun, but it is also verboten and no buy in means everybody plays.


We've had lots of people over during the holidays and I am very proud to say that Zoe has been an extremely good dog. She's nine this year in human years. Because the whole dog-years theory is a little controversial, I'll leave any further calculations up to you.

Now, for the real business of the day.

Resolutions:
*eat more raw food (salad...not carpaccio)
*get more sleep (go to bed earlier)
*write in a journal or blog frequently (frequently being at least once a week)

I would also like to have another child in 2008. But I'm not sure about making that a resolution, since it's sort of out of my hands. Oh, and I have lots of plans to be a better mom, wife, sister, daughter, friend, neighbor, etc... but I need to keep this list simple.

Now for a picture of actual human members of our family. This picture was taken after my sister-in-law, Suzanne, gave all the grandkids their PJs and books. Lucy mistook hers for a smoking jacket--walking around with her little hands jammed in her pockets luxuriously. I didn't get any pictures of her with her hands in her pockets, though. Shame.


Uncle Fotu reading "No, David!" to David and Lucy. They got a kick out of saying "NO, DAVID!" along with him.