Wednesday, January 9, 2008

1.9.2008

Lucy sleeping on my lap.

My apologies to anyone wanting to read anything with depth or wit. My goal with this blog has been to create an outlet. (Period.)

There is a reason that this disclaimer has been posted now. My expectations for today are pretty low. I just want to write--something.

Yesterday I got all of the laundry done and the entire house clean. It took all day (literally). Its a good feeling when it happens--sort of like an eclipse happening right before your eyes. You can sense that there is something special happening and that you may not witness the likes of it again. Ha.

Funny thing is--as good as it is to get the whole house as I believe it should be (almost).

I'll try that again. As good as it is to get the whole house almost as I believe it should be, in order, that is... I'm not sure its great for anyone else. I get a little manic and obsessive when everything is so well stowed and in it's place. I don't like to see it disturbed. This would be fine if I lived alone.

I do it for the stereotypes. I do it in pursuit of my ideal of womanhood. I do it for sanity. I must have control (sporadic control is still control) over my home and it should be clean and tidy.

Now this: Someone please address the oracle to find out why I’m so ravenous. The only explanation I'm coming up with is that raising my heart rate a lot makes me want to stuff my face. That is, when I complete a hard session of “cardio,” like I did this morning, I turn all hungry-hungry-hippo some time in the following 24 hours. I do not like it.

This is why, incidentally, I have given up on my vague dreams of running a marathon. I would much rather do yoga every day for hours to train for fitness than run every day. Don’t get me wrong. I like a good runner’s high just as much as the next guy. It’s just not as good as yoga.

Need convincing?

1: After yoga, I feel drained yet invigorated, just like running. I like it.

2:The day after yoga, all of my muscles can be sore, but my overall flexibility has increased, not decreased the way it does after running.

3:Yoga has never caused me knee pain or shin splints.

4:The more yoga I do, the less I weigh and the stronger I am. With running, the more I run, the better I can run more. I don't exercise just for the way it makes me feel and perform, I want to look better, too!

5:Yoga makes me want to eat more grapefruit. The more I run, the more processed food I want to eat.

6:Yoga skills can increase personal worth in at least two ways. First, if a person is particularly adept at a certain asana or type of asana or yoga move which some people think is impossible or unlikely, this person could wager that they could compete such a feat—and could theoretically increase his or her bank balance. Second: Sometimes at a very boring party, yoga tricks substitute for entertainment. Running? Running increasing my personal worth? This is is almost too dry for me to even work up enough enthusiasm to consider. I guess if you happen to be Kenyan you would have a good argument for this one. And you could still bet people if you were a really fantastic runner. But running can NOT substitute for intertainment at a slow party. (That was for you, Rob.)

Now after writing this, a wave of sleepiness has hit me and I remember that I woke up not only at 12:30, 3:30 and 4:30 am this morning, I also got up to exercise at 5:30 am.
I desperately want a nap but I just had a snack of cookie dough. ☹ Not a good bedtime treat—even if it is a nap. Cookie dough bloat:


Lucy has been sleeping for about 1 hour and if I let her sleep longer, I will regret it tonight. She fell asleep on the way home from the store. I let her pick out her own plastic toilet. I am hoping that she is thrilled with it enough to get over her porcelain toilet stage-fright.

Hopes and dreams. I'm going to sign off with that one.